A whimsical place to play, where paper and ink become one.

Friday, April 24, 2015

Focal Friday's ~ Pretty & Pink w/ a Fun Tutorial

Hi Friends,

I have a lot to share with today's Focal Friday's Post. I have been having a lot of fun taking photos of flowers in and around my yard. These are the different pink azaleas that are blooming like crazy. I just love how vibrant they are.


Stampin' Up! has just posted their new Retired List of items in preparation for the new catalog release coming in June. The Mixed Bunch Stamp Set and the matching Blossom Punch are both on the chopping block. :-( I absolute love these and I am sure you will too. Check the Retired List to see these and other items that are being retired.


 
An amazing customer and friend, Mary Telles, came to me asking about how I color and what she could purchase from me to color like I do. Well since the Stampin's Up! Blendabilities have been discontinued and we currently do not have another alcohol marker available to us I decided to see if I could get similar results using our Classic Ink pads along with our Blender Pens. I really like that I was able to get the "Shaded" look that Mary is going after. Below I show a tutorial to help with the technique.


When working with our Classic Ink pads simply squeeze the pad before opening then open the pad up. Ink will be on the inside of the lid. You then dip your blender pen into that ink. As you use the pen the ink will begin to fade so make sure you use it at first in the area that you want to be the darkest. When you finish your stroke lift the pen for a lighter stroke on the end. 


Step 2: Begin layer one with Strawberry Slush Classic Ink Pad( Retiring) using the blender pen.

Step 3: Layer a second layer of Strawberry Slush keeping your strokes closer to the center. This gives the darker effect in the center of the flower.

Step 4: Using Blushing Bride Classic Ink Pad begin on the end of the petal and work towards the strawberry slush colored area over lapping them slightly. You will notice that the colors do not really blend much at first but when you so step 5 they will. 

Step 5: Returning back to the strawberry slush start your strokes in the center again dragging your stroke to the intersection of the two colors lifting with the tip of the pen. This gives a nice gradient in colors. 

Step 6: Using the Blossom Punch (Retiring & Currently 50% off) to punch the flower out. 

Step 7: I used a touch of Pistachio Pudding Classic Ink Pad (Retiring & Currently 50% off) around the edges of the punch to give it a slight background color.

Below are two more samples. I used All Abloom Designer Paper Stack (Retiring & Currently 50% off) for all the floral papers. Doesn't it go perfectly with the Mixed Bunch Stamp Set?



 At the time of publishing this blog post all items are currently available to order. They are while supplies last though, so please don't delay in ordering or you may miss this awesome deal.

Have a Pretty & Pink Day!
Melanie



Built for Free Using: My Stampin Blog

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous Melanie, both your pictures and the cards...love those DSPs AND the stamp set...your coloring is fabuloush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by Carol :-) I really appreciate your nice words.

      Delete